About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Happy New Year!

I had a crazy November and December, so I fell behind on reviews. I don't know that I will go back and review stuff I read a while ago. I am currently reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I had been waiting for this one. I am a big fan of his Thursday Next series and his Nursery Crimes series. So far this new book does not disappoint. Although, I wish I were more well read when I read his books.

I just finished reading The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I absolutely loved this one. I started reading it and was just drawn in by the narrator's voice. The beginning was literally a car wreck and I couldn't stop reading his description of receiving his horrific injuries. After I read some of the book, and then was thinking about it, I was really surprised that the book wasn't just a complete downer. But, the narrator's voice is so good, with just the right amount of snark and dark humor, that it didn't just leave you wanting to bang your head against the wall over the hopelessness of his situation.

I think the premise and the love story were extremely clever and fun to read. I felt a little like I had just finished listening to Scheherazade's tales. And they all wove together beautifully. I also enjoyed that it had that mystical element, but, if you really don't believe in mysticism, there might be another explanation.

I would highly recommend The Gargoyle to anyone looking for a good story, full of hope, some redemption maybe, and some good dark humor.