About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fantasy Lover and Reading Samples

I've been reading through samples on my Kindle lately. I had 40 or so on there that I needed to evaluate to decide if I wanted to purchase them or not. I've purchased a couple, and kept quite a few on there that I may want to buy at a later date.

I have had time to play with the new Kindle update some more. One thing I don't like about it, is the new Go To selection off of the Menu. Before, right from the menu pop up, you could choose to goto the cover or the beginning of a book. Now you have to choose Go To and it pops up another box, where you can enter numbers, or a search phrase, or choose the button for cover or beginning. It seems weird that they now make you go through an extra step.

I read Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It was ok. It seemed intriguing to start with. It's a romance novel about a sex therapist who has no sex life of her own. Her friend found a book that can summon a Macedonian demigod to be her love slave for one month. The demigod comes forth out of the book, and the girl treats him like an actual human for the first time in 2000 years. She wants to find a way to rescue him from his imprisonment.
The book was easy to read, but upon thinking about it later, it just felt so, anti-feminist. The female protagonist, at first glance, seems to be pretty tough and able to take care of herself. But, she's really more than happy to let this hunk of a man protect and take care of her. Once he's in her life she can't concentrate on anything but him. I suppose to some that's part of what makes it romantic, but, I think a girl can be stronger and still get the guy.

If you're looking for a light, funny romance novel, Fantasy Lover is a good choice, it moves quickly and was hard to put down. It's just not a feminist manifesto.