About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Foreign Films

I guess I have been on something of a foreign film kick lately. It started with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I read the book and really wanted to see the Swedish version of the movie. I felt like it would probably be more true to the book than an Americanized version.

I really liked the movie, and I think it did a good job with the book. The actors were very good, the feel was a little bleaker than I would have thought. Especially the island where a majority of the movie takes place. I am definitely glad I saw the Swedish version of the film. As much as the people involved with the American version claim they want to stay true to the book, I think it can't help but have a different feel.

The other foreign film I've watched is "Let The Right One In." It's a vampire movie, which is the first thing that attracted me to it. It's another movie that has an American version being made. I wanted to see the original. The vampire and the boy she befriends are both twelve years old, so it has a different feel than most vampire movies or vampire books I've encountered. Vampires tend to be so intwined with sexuality. Having a vampire that was twelve when she was turned, but has been 'alive' much longer than that presents a conundrum that most writers avoid. Anne Rice visited the problem in Interview with a Vampire.

I have to imagine it would be tortuous. Even if certain brain process were never able to mature, and your body was not able to mature, I would guess you would want to be older, just like any twelve year old does. True Blood has visited the issue of a virgin vampire in the character of Jessica. It isn't hard to imagine that most child-vampires would have a shorter life span due to the extra pressures of trying to survive as a overaged child for centuries.

The most recent foreign film I watched was "Amelie."  It is a French film, rather than Swedish like the other two. It is an older film, and I know it was very popular when it came out. I had never seen it before and had always wanted to. I am so glad I watched it. It was such a fun, imaginative, romantic movie. It was so nice to see a movie with a strong female character, no gross out humor, and a sweet love story that also has a sense of humor.

If you are interested in watching some foreign films, I would highly recommend all three of these movies. I watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" dubbed, but the other two I watched subtitled. I plan on watching "....Dragon Tattoo" subtitled also, it is my preference.