About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker

This book by Leanna Renee Hieber, was definitely a good find. I had seen it when it first came out, but didn’t decide to read it until I saw the sequel on the shelf one day. 
Reading this book feels a little like starting in the middle of a story. At first, that drove me crazy. But, upon finishing the book, I realized, it was a perfect way to write the story. The characters didn’t know exactly what was going on. They were kind of in the middle of the story without realizing it. So, by writing it the way she did, the author conveyed that experience to the reader as well.
I loved the references to Greek myth in this novel. I have always been a fan of Greek mythology, since we studied it in 9th grade. Although, even before that, Clash of the Titans was one of my favorite movies. 
The main characters of this book, Percy Parker and Professor Alexi Rychman are interesting characters, and seem to be total opposites of each other. It is nice to see how Percy comes out of her shell during the course of the book. 
There was some frustration toward the end because the reader is pretty sure which woman is the fake, but the characters don’t know, so you kind of feel like smacking them in the head. 
Overall, I really loved this book and will definitely read the second one soon.