About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint

I know Charles de Lint has been writing for a while. This is the first book of his I’ve read. It seemed like one that could pretty much stand alone, so I thought I would try it. I really enjoyed this book. It was a slower paced book, but always engrossing. 
The main character of the book is Jilly, who at the beginning of the book was struck by a car and severely injured. The book is about her recovery. It is also about seeing the beauty around us, and the need to have an escape or at least have hope. It is also about how sometimes the family we choose is better than the family we were born to. 
I kind of hate to say too much about the plot itself, I think that even though it is pretty easy to see where aspects of the plot are heading, it’s more fun to take the journey.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the urban fantasy genre. There are no vampires, but there is enough magic and wonder to keep you coming back. I think I will definitely look for more titles by Charles de Lint.