About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tall, Dark and Deadly by Tate Hallaway

 
Tall, Dark and Dead is the first book in the Garnet Lacey series. Garnet is a witch, who is on the run and now a solitary practitioner. She’s been trying to give up magic, but working in a New Age store that also provides some necessary magic supplies may not be the best way to do that. She also plays hostess to a Goddess, so sometimes she doesn’t feel like herself. Garnet has finally made some friends in Madison, Wisconsin, and then the tall, dark and dead from the title walks into the shop. At first, Garnet isn’t sure exactly what Sebastian is, but she is sure that he’s trouble. 
I really enjoyed this first book in this series by Tate Hallaway, and I think I will read more of them, although I don’t know that I will read them back to back. This series has a little more heat than the cozy mysteries I’ve been reading lately, not that heat is a bad thing. Tall, Dark and Dead definitely falls in the urban fantasy genre. I enjoyed some of the soul searching that Garnet has to do in the course of this story, and it makes me optimistic for the rest of the series, if Garnet continues to grow and improve over time. 
There are some themes in here that are a little heavier, but it’s also easy to just enjoy Tall, Dark and Dead as a fun, relatively light-hearted supernatural romp through Madison, Wisconsin. Having been to Madison only once, I only had a vague map in my head of the layout of the downtown area, but it is always fun for a book to take place in a location you’re familiar with. 
This series in some ways reminds me of Mary Janice Davidson’s Betsy the vampire series, although Garnet is by no means as clueless as Betsy, but it has some of the humor and a well-developed universe. I will definitely be reading more books in this series. I’m going to give Tall, Dark and Dead by Tate Hallaway, 2 bookmarks. As the story hit the climax it was impossible for me to put down.