About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blood Rites, book six of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Blood Rites, book six in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, seemed like it was going to be just as awesome as the last five books. However, I think this has been my least favorite book in the series so far. I do have to wonder if it’s partially Dresden burn out, but I really think it’s more than that. The pace of this book is slower, maybe that is part of it. I think part of the reason I did not like this one as much is that I just was not as invested in Harry’s client. 
Thomas, White Court vampire, comes to Harry to ask him to help a friend. This friend is a movie producer and people around him keep dying. They believe it is an evil eye curse, but if so, it is a pretty sloppy one. The roundabout way that Harry got this particular case, and the fact that Harry doesn’t get to know the actual client that well just left me less invested in the outcome. 
I will admit that once the focus shifts more to the White Court vampires, the pace and interest picks up. Some of the Black Court vampires show up in this one as well. Harry ends up having to hire some guns to help him fight the Black Court vampires. There is a big reveal involving Dresden’s mother that I don’t want to give away.
Even though this book wasn’t my favorite of the series, there is still a lot to like. Butcher had just made the fourth and fifth books so good that it was hard to keep up that pace. I definitely am not letting this one minor disappointment keep me from reading the rest of this fantastic series. 
I’m going to give Blood Rites by Jim Butcher, 3 bookmarks.