About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

This second book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, as you can probably guess from the title (Fool Moon) has Harry facing off against werewolves. Our favorite characters from book one are back, Bob the skull, Kerrin Murphy, and Harry of course. As I started reading this book, I thought I missed something. There is a female character that is introduced as a sometime apprentice of Harry’s, and I did not remember her from the first book. So, I re-read the first book (Storm Front), and she wasn’t mentioned in there at all. At least I satisfied my nagging brain that I hadn’t just forgotten her from the first book. Although, I think that is one of the things I disliked about this particular book. There were a few things that made me feel like I had missed a book. Perhaps there is a short story somewhere that talks about things alluded to in this book, but I haven’t found it yet. 
Aside from the feeling of missing a part of the story somewhere, I really enjoyed this book. I enjoy how Jim Butcher manages to make things weave together that at first glance may seem like they have nothing to do with each other. In Fool Moon, we learn that there a multiple types of werewolves, ranging from people who just behave like animals but never look like them, to people that can change at will, and even a type that is more like the traditional werewolf myth of being cursed to change at the full moon. 
It is probably a good thing that Mr. Butcher is slowly opening Dresden’s world to us. It seems pretty complex, and I think it would have been overwhelming to give too much of an overview in the first book. Many urban fantasy series have maybe a few of the classic storybook monsters, vampires, werewolves, maybe ghosts. Dresden’s world has it all, all the storybook monsters, including the fae, and it seems like pretty much any supernatural creature you’ve ever heard of is likely to make an appearance at some point. Butcher’s Chicago rivals Bon Temps and the Hollows for complexity.
Werewolves are not generally my favorite of the supernatural set, except for Kitty, I love her! The werewolves that Dresden runs into are definitely on the scary side. There is an unbelievable amount of carnage in this book, but I didn’t really feel it gratuitous. I think there was a point to showing the reader the chaos a couple werewolves can cause. In some ways I think it helped prepare us for the craziness to come in book three of the Dresden Files, Grave Peril
I have already read the third book in the series and am working through the fourth as I write this, so needless to say, I will continue reading this series. I know I discovered it late and I have a lot of catching up to do! I’m going to give Fool Moon by Jim Butcher, 2 bookmarks