About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Grave Peril, Book Three of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Grave Peril is the third book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The monster du jour in this book is a vampire. Well, vampires really. These are Red Court vampires. In Dresden’s world, there are basically three types of vampires: Red, White, and Black. Red Court vampires feed on blood, are weak in the daytime, and wear a skin mask of sorts to conceal their true form. 
Harry gets invited to a party by the head Red Court vampire, Bianca. He really does not want to go, in spite of the fact he was invited as a representative of the White Council of wizards. 
Of course, Harry can never just be fighting one bad guy at a time. So, in addition to dealing with vampires, Harry is also fighting ghosts with his friend Michael. This was another case where I felt like I had missed something. It seems like Dresden and Michael had some previous adventures that we missed. But again, there doesn’t seem to be any short stories that cover the gap. 
There is one big bad guy that Harry calls the Nightmare. He is actually able to damage people’s souls. He really lives up to his name. We also meet a White Court vampire named Thomas. White Court vampires feed off of emotion rather than blood, but they are no less deadly. Of the remaining of the vampire types, the Black Court vampires are like Dracula. They are weakened by sunlight, susceptible to garlic and holy water, not to mention a good old fashioned stake through the heart. 
I have really been enjoying the Dresden Files. I’ve gotten behind on my reviews because I can’t stop reading them. I just finished book six, so expect more reviews soon.
I’m going to give Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, 1 bookmark. I can’t seem to stop reading them. I love the humor, and the action is just crazy. Poor Harry always has to fight one battle, and if he survives, there’s another baddy waiting in the wings to kill him.