About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mr. Darcy's Diary: A Novel by Amanda Grange

I read Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Amanda Grange as a break in the Dresden Files series. It was available for free on Kindle at the time I downloaded it. It is the first novel I’ve read by Amanda Grange, it looks like she has written other similar books based on other male characters in Jane Austen novels. She is also the author of Mr. Darcy, Vampyre and a couple other historical romances. I enjoy Jane Austen books to begin with, and I enjoyed this book too. In fact, I couldn’t put it down. I love the story of Pride and Prejudice. In fact, after I read this book I sat down and watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries (you know, the one with Colin Firth). 
Ms. Grange did a good job of weaving text from the original novel with new content. It made for a compelling retelling that felt true to the character of Fitzwilliam Darcy, as he was created by Jane Austen. If only the rest of us could have access to the private thoughts of our own significant other and learn as much. It was amusing to learn that Darcy in some ways was just clueless. He apparently really did  not understand at first why Elizabeth Bennett was so upset with his initial marriage proposal. 
If you are a fan of Jane Austen, and Pride and Prejudice, you will probably enjoy this book. We even get a peek of the married life of Darcy and Elizabeth, but most of the book is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy’s point of view. I really enjoyed this book, and it was a quick read.
 I’m going to give Mr. Darcy’s Diary: A Novel by Amanda Grange, 1 bookmark.