About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Home For A Spell by Madelyn Alt

I have loved the Bewitching Mysteries by Madelyn Alt. Home For A Spell is the seventh book in this series. Our heroine is Maggie O’ Neill, who over the course of the series has started to tune into her otherworldly abilities.  She is empathatic to the vibrations of the universe, but hasn’t really gotten into casting spells and whatnot like some of her associates do. Maggie was different enough to cause problems with hometown cop Tom Fielding. She is now dating fellow magickal friend, Marcus Quinn.
The biggest reason I continue to read this series is that Maggie is an extremely likable character, and I enjoy rooting for her. There is kind of the over-arcing mystery of what is behind all of the problems in Maggie’s little town in Indiana. There have been a lot more violent crimes, especially murders in the last year or so. 
All of the stuff I love about this series aside, I was disappointed with this latest installment. I felt like nothing really happened. The mysteries were pretty transparent to me, right from the beginning. There was a bit of a twist at the end, but I don’t know that it was enough to redeem the simplicity of the rest of the book. 
The worst part was, not only was the mystery not that great, but Maggie’s personal life was just kind of stalled. Maggie was still sporting the broken ankle from the previous book. She’s living with Marcus, to facilitate him helping her while she is recuperating. However, Maggie feels she is holding Marcus back and thinks maybe it’s time to embrace the changes coming into her life and find a new apartment of her own. 
This new home search was another aspect of the book that was pretty predictable. 
It is always stinks to be disappointed by a book you’ve been waiting to read, but, my disappointment in this particular book is not likely to prevent me from reading the next book in the series. 
I am going to give Home For A Spell by Madelyn Alt, 3 bookmarks.