About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Wow, I think I’m still processing the fifth book in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I have loved this series from the beginning. The adventures of Mackayla Lane since arriving in Dublin, Ireland, has been a wild ride. I was looking forward to this fifth book in the series, and I wasn’t disappointed. 
Dreamfever had left us with a huge cliffhanger. Mac was in the silvers (mirrors that provide gateways to different worlds) and had just killed a large beast. But, I’m trying not to put spoilers here, so read the book already!
There were a lot of loose ends to tie up in this book, and KMM did a fantastic job. Although, it seemed like there was kind of a checklist at the end, and some of the answers were kind of rushed through. But, overall, I was really happy with the answers that Ms. Moning gave. 
For much of the book, Mac was having a bit of an identity crisis. Some of the twists she took to finally discover who and what she was were really amazing. I want to try to steer clear of spoilers here for now. I want to re-read the whole series and maybe do a more in depth discussion of each book. 
This installment was really dark, dealing with the world after the fall of the wall between faery and our world. The Sinsar Dubh was running rampant and seemed to be tracking Mac. Following the beast’s death in the silvers, Mac was in a really dark place herself, and ready to do anything to set the world right. 
The only thing I was kind of disappointed about was that the ending of the book seemed a little too sappy for the dark tone of the rest of the book. And although I can understand the reasoning behind that type of ending, it was still a little disappointing. 
According to KMM’s bio, she is planning other books that take place in the Fever universe and a graphic novel featuring Mac. 
Overall I love this series, and I loved this last book. It was all I could have hoped for, and did a great job of tying up loose ends. 
I’m going to give Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning, 1 bookmark. It was really had to put down. 
Keep an eye out for future discussion of the Fever series.