About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Girl Who Played with Fire

     It took me a while to be ready to read the second book. I have read the first and watched the Swedish version of the film. Now I am kind of kicking myself for not getting to it sooner. I’ll be the first to admit The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo takes a bit of determination to muscle through the beginning. The Girl Who Played with Fire, however, starts off with a bang and is hard to put down right from the beginning. 
Lisbeth Salander has been traveling around the world since the first book ended. There is a great part near the beginning where Lisbeth is in the Caribbean and has some pretty good adventures. In a lot of ways Lisbeth has changed since the first book, but in some of the most important ways, she’s still the same. Her basic personality is still the same, but she does show some signs of wanting to trust others and think about others. 
I hate to post too many spoilers here, but this book has a really complicated plot. It was fascinating learning more about Lisbeth’s childhood and teenage years. We also learn that Lisbeth has family we didn’t know about before. 
I can understand how the police feel that were investigating the case that The Girl Who Played with Fire revolves around. Bodies pile up, and the situation seems to get more and more out of control, even though at the beginning the case seems open and shut. 
I am loving this series. The first book was a little hard to get into, but once it got going, it was amazing! This second book is able to hit the ground running, without as much background in financial reporting. I have already started the third book, and can’t wait to see how it all turns out.
I’m going to give The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson, 1 bookmark
If you haven’t read this series yet, what are you waiting for?