About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Friday, March 04, 2011

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I’ve now finished the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson. I can definitely see what all the fuss is about. I will admit, I haven’t read very many Scandinavian mysteries, I know that in general they are supposed to be good. I think I may have to try some others if any are as good as Larsson’s.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest picks up where The Girl Who Played with Fire left off. Salander was recovering in the hospital. Blomkvist is working to do everything he can to make sure Salander doesn’t disappear into the system and have her civil liberties trampled again.

Of the three books in the series, I think The Girl Who Played with Fire had the fastest pace and the least educational-type information. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had a lot of information about financial reporting, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, had a lot of information about Swedish politics, and especially different political scandals.

All of Larsson’s books have had a lot going on. Erika Berger had a significant side story in this last book. Overall, I am very impressed with Larsson’s focus on characters, and making even many of the peripheral characters very real.

I think I am most disappointed that Larsson has passed away and we won’t have more of Salander’s and Blomkvist’s adventures. I believe that even though Salander’s life has been sorted out, more or less, that Larsson had more planned for his dynamic duo.

I had to put this aside for a few days, when I hit the middle of the book, and study for scuba class. I picked it back up and slogged through the rest of the slower middle part. Once the book hit the climax, I couldn’t put it down. I was up until 3:15 AM reading through the final lead up and Salander’s trial. Once it hit what I considered the Epilogue, I had to turn in. But, I think the book was worth only getting 4 hours of sleep.

Bottom line then, I really liked the Millennium series as a whole, and I think it’s well worth reading. For The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest specifically, I’m going to give it 2 bookmarks.