About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

The Eyre Affair is a gentle introduction to the world of Thursday Next. In Lost in a Good Book, the story really takes off. As weird as Thursday’s world seemed before, with dodoes, airships, and time travel, it gets even weirder. 
Thursday made it out of Jane Eyre just in time to get married at the end of the first book. She was settling into married life, and recuperating from her bullet wound. However, Thursday became concerned when she started hearing a voice in her head. The voice kept talking about a criminal case that she shouldn’t discuss with anyone. Not that she was getting to talk much with anyone about her Jane Eyre adventures, in spite of the fact that she had been on a whirlwind PR tour. She wasn’t allowed to discuss Archeron Hades, , or Goliath Corporation. Her interviews mostly focused on her pet dodo, Pickwick. 
Thursday has someone trying to kill her with coincidences, she gets roped into helping her rogue time cop dad save the world, and the Goliath Corporation really would like their employee back. Thursday doesn’t have time to take a breath. Then, the Goliath Corporation has Thursday’s husband eradicated, and she’s the only one who remembers him, or that she was married. In order to get her husband back, she will have to find a way to get the Goliath Employee out of the copy of Edgar Allen Poe’s "The Raven." She travels to Osaka, Japan, to find the woman who had helped her enter Jane Eyre as a child. What she finds will send her down the path on another adventure entirely. 
Thursday discovers that she is meant to join Jurisfiction. Jurisfiction is hard to explain. It’s basically literature police, and the policemen are mostly made up of fictional characters. They protect written works from various threats, from grammacites to Bowlderizers. They operate out of a huge library, and the head librarian is the Cheshire Cat. 
Lost in a Good Book is where I really start to feel like I haven’t read enough. Thursday is apprenticed to Miss Havisham from Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations. She is also subjected to a trial that takes place inside Franz Kafka’s The Trial. I haven’t read either of those, but I was able to follow the gist. I know how great the conversation was between Thursday and the Cheshire Cat, and I assume the other characters are captured just as well. 
I am amazed at how much happens in just one book. I really do feel like I fell into Thursday’s world for a visit. I think it is definitely worth re-reading this series before reading the latest book. This series really is worth reading more than once. As I read more of the referenced books, I’m sure re-reading will be even more fun. As I said before, books that inspire you to read others are some of the best. 
I can’t wait to dive into The Well of Lost Plots! I’m going to give Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde, 1 bookmark.