About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nintendo 3DS

I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Nintendo 3DS. I'm not sure how in love I am with the 3D thing, although I love that I don't have to wear goofy glasses to see it. However, it is going to take some getting used to to hold it in the right spot. The perfect viewing angle is very small. If you hold it too close, things get all blurry or doubled, which leads quickly to headaches. If you hold the thing far enough away though, it does look pretty cool. It's also possible to turn the 3D effect off completely.

I do like some of the other updates they made to the DS though. I like the addition of Miis. I like the addition of the pedometer, and I think some of the ways developers will use that will be really fun. I have tried out the Mii Plaza and found some Miis when I was at the mall the other day. Adding new Miis allows you to get new puzzle pieces and play the Find Mii mini game.

I have played Rayman 3D, which is an ok platformer. I have also played with Nintendogs 3D, which is fun. You can take your dog for a walk by putting the 3DS in sleep mode and letting it count your steps. The more steps you walk, the more presents your puppy picks up.  If only you could find fun presents whenever you went for a walk in real life.

I have played with the camera. The 3D pictures are fun, although at the moment there isn't really a good way for me to share them with anyone who can't look at my 3DS screen.

Overall, as an upgraded DS I am impressed and like the changes. I haven't made up my mind yet about the 3D. My two school age boys love it though.

Have you tried it out yet? What did you think?