About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Monday, May 09, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I know I kicked myself for falling for the Twilight hype, but with the movie version of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins filming, or getting ready to film, I decided to try this series. Normally the whole apocalypse/dystopian thing is not really my cup of tea, but sometimes popular books are good. I am really glad I gave it a shot! I really liked this book. I had a hard time putting it down. There weren’t a lot of surpirses for me, when you go in knowing it’s a trilogy, you kind of have a clue about how book one is probably going to turn out. That being said, it was absolutely compelling. 
Of course the whole forcing various people to compete to the death is not a new idea, it really existed in ancient history and still lives on in science fiction and fantasy, especially the apocalypse/dystopian stuff. One of the differences here is that it’s teenagers being forced to fight, and the amount of manipulating done behind the scenes is kind of crazy. 
If you haven’t read the book yourself yet, what are you waiting for? And, I will try to avoid spoilers. I didn’t know too much about the story going into it, mostly just the names of some of the main characters. Basically, every year the twelve districts in the country of Panem must submit a teenage boy and teenage girl to the Hunger Games. The teens must battle to the last one standing, and it is all televised live for the entertainment of the people in the Capitol and the horror of all the loved ones back in the twelve districts. 
The main character, Katniss, is a sixteen year old girl, and she’s been the sole supporter of her mother, younger sister, and herself since her father was killed. There are two boys in her life, Gale, her hunting partner, and Peeta, the boy with the bread. 
I highly recommend this book, it wasn’t exactly a light read, but it was really good. I am already moving on to book two in the series, Catching Fire
I’m going to give The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, 1 bookmark