About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell

This is the first novel I have read by Jill Mansell. I really enjoyed it! The chapters are short, but it’s hard to just read one. Probably just because it’s also by a British author, but Millie’s Fling reminds me of Bridget Jones, except Millie is more likable than Bridget. This book definitely has some screwball comedy elements to it. It also reminds me of Katie MacAlister’s contemporary romances. 
Millie is up at lover’s leap with her boyfriend, he’s trying to ask her something important, but Millie is distracted by the woman wandering close to the cliff’s edge. The woman turns out to be famous author Orla Hart. Millie talks her away from the edge of the cliff, and her life is never the same. Millie loses her job, but finds another as a roller skating gorilla singing telegram girl. Millie meets Hugh, the gorgeous young widower. Orla decides her next book is going to be based on Millie’s life, but since Millie doesn’t have much of a life, Orla tries to play fairy godmother. 
I love Millie, she has an optimistic outlook on life, and the supporting characters are fantastic! The book is told from an omniscient point of view, which is fun. I have read a lot of first person stuff lately. It is kind of fun to know what almost all of the characters are thinking. 
I thought this book was entertaining and enjoyable. It was a quick read, and I am going to read more of Jill Mansell’s books. I did take a break from this book to read the new Sookie, but that is just about the only thing that could have torn me away from this book before I finished it. 
I’m going to give Millie’s Fling by Jill Mansell, 2 bookmarks.