About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Miranda's Big Mistake by Jill Mansell

Miranda’s Big Mistake is the second book I’ve read by Jill Mansell. Her books are light, great summer  beach reading. It was easy to read through this book quickly. There was some great humor in it. I liked Miranda, the main character a lot, and her landlady Florence, and Chloe. 
However, this book had one of the worst cliched selfish males I have ever read in a book. The males in this book in general were pretty weak characters. A couple of the women, like Bev, are caricatures. There was a lot of frustration with the charcters not talking to each other. It bothers me that romantic comedies always go to the silliness that could be avoided with a little bit of mature communication, instead of acting like a teenager and turning everything into a big drama. I also didn't think it was necessary to wrap up the love lives of all the characters in the book. It was a really predictable plot, and almost all the plot points are predictable.
I guess this is kind of a mixed review. This book was a light, fun read, but there were definitely things about it that annoyed me. I think I will wait awhile before reading another of Jill Mansell’s books, but I probably would read another one. 
I’m going to give Miranda’s Big Mistake by Jill Mansell, 3 bookmarks.