About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I just finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I felt like the ending was perfect. I kept wondering how it was going to end, and I wasn’t disappointed in the ending.Because I’m trying to keep these reviews spoiler free, I can’t such much about the plot. Especially if you haven’t read the first two books.
I couldn’t help but compare this series to Lord of the Rings. Maybe because it just has the mark of a perfect trilogy, like LOTR. The first book, The Hunger Games,  started Katniss on her journey, with most heroines it would have been a coming of age story and in a way this was. However, Katniss did not start from the same innocent place that most coming of age stories start. Keeping with my LOTR comparison, Katniss is kind of like Aragon. 
The second book, Catching Fire, continued Katniss’ journey, and helped her find allies for the final battle. Mockingjay, much like Return of the King in LOTR, is a huge battle. It’s been building for the three books, and I love that until the book ended, I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out. I wasn’t sure how I wanted it to turn out, and in the end, it is amazing when you find a good book and a good author. I am sure that Ms. Collins had fans that were vocal about how they wanted the series to end. I have been on Charlaine Harris’ message boards and know how vocal and adamant fans can be that their vision is the only way the series can end. One reason that books like the Sookie Stackhouse series and the Hunger Games series draw us in though is that the authors are very talented and have a story to tell. We need to just trust that the author knows what she’s (or he) is doing. They created these characters, and I think the story is better when we just leave our expectations outside the book and go with the flow of the story, it’s rare that an author you already love will steer you wrong. It may not be the ending you were hoping for, but I think if we take a step back, it’s the ending we need.
I loved the Hunger Games series, and if the first part of Mockingjay was the weakest point in the series, it more than made up for it at the end. 
I am going to give Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, 1 bookmark.