About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Friday, May 27, 2011

My Girlie Weekend




As the mom of two school age boys, especially ones who think girls, and anything girlie is icky, I don’t get to do a lot of girlie things. I was very excited to get to do just that last weekend. I went to the Tonner Doll 20th Anniversary Convention in Chicago, IL. I have been a doll collector since I was a teenager. I had pretty much stuck with Barbie up until the last year or so. I had looked at the Tonner dolls off and on a lot over the last couple of years, in the last year I had finally jumped in and bought my first Tonner dolls. 
This Tonner convention was my first doll convention. It was amazing! I met some really great people, and the events and dolls were amazing. I like how the Tonner company feels like a family. It’s not a huge company and it seemed like everyone there really pulls together to make the conventions special. 
The special convention dolls were amazing. The centerpieces at the meal events were so cool, I wish I had space to bring them all home. I am amazed at the repaints and custom clothing that people make over their dolls with. I am not a crafty person, but I wish I were, especially after seeing the competition dolls. 
I attended the convention by myself, but there was never a shortage of people to talk with. The biggest problem was that it totally feeds into my collection addiction. I love to collect things. It becomes a terrible habit though, you always feel like you need to complete a collection. Some types of collections, like dolls are not easily completed. 
I had been postponing unpacking my Barbie collection after we moved to Iowa a few years ago. The convention helped to get me in gear and I have gotten all my boxes unpacked. Now I just need to find room for them all, and for my new editions from the convention!


 
Centerpiece from first Night of Convention

Convention exclusive Evangeline Ghastly. Gorgeous!

 
Convention Exclusive Ellowynne Wilde "Dark Shadows"

 
Centerpiece at Masquerade Gala, Winkin' Blinkin' and Nod