About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Friday, May 06, 2011

A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison

Take the owner of a small bakery, add a bit of inherited gypsy magic, and you have A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison. Elizabeth Stevens is still recovering from a divorce, and making her ex-husband’s wedding cake isn’t helping. It’s also her thirty-fifth birthday. Luckily, Liz’s grandmother gives her a special gift for her birthday. A legacy of magic passed down by the women of her family for several generations. The magic manifests a little differently according to each woman’s talent. 
This book was pretty much a straightforward romance novel. It used the magic realism like books by Sarah Addison Allen. However, I wasn’t as invested in this as I usually am in Allen’s books. I wasn’t that invested in the characters, and the magic element felt like it was thrown in because that’s what’s hot right now. 
Madison does pretty well with the comedy, and the love scenes were good. Overall it was a light read, and it is the first book in a series. I don’t think I will read the rest of this series though, I wasn’t invested enough to see what happens with the next characters. The series is one of those where it follows different members of the family in each book. 
I’m going to give A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison, 4 bookmarks.