About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Saturday, September 03, 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series. This is the first book I’ve read by Cassandra Clare. I suppose for most people, the blurb on the front cover by Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight series would be a recommendation. For me, it almost made me bypass this one. 
Clary Fray is the main character, just a teenage girl, butting heads with her overprotective mom. She hangs out with her best friend, Simon. She likes to go to the nightclub, Pandemonium, and Simon goes along because he’s a good friend. One night at Pandemonium, Clary sees a cute boy, and then watches him in a confrontation with two other boys and a girl. This starts Clary onto a path to a whole new world. 
Clary is introduced to the world of Shadow Hunters, and learns there are many things out there that she never thought existed. She also learns her childhood may not have been what it seemed. When her mother goes missing, Clary gets dragged even farther into this strange new world. Her guides are Jace, Isabelle, and Isabelle’s brother Alec. 
This book is firmly in the urban fantasy genre, and all the usual suspects are present, vampries, werewolves, demons, warlocks, and about anything else you can think of. This book has a lot of Star Wars references, and has allusions to Star Wars in the plot as well. 
City of Bones is in the teen literature market, and it belongs there. It wasn’t as syrupy as Twilight. The first half of the book was really good, probably even the first 3/4. I wasn’t necessarily crazy about the ending, it wasn’t really a surprise, but I’m not sure I liked it. I will probably read the next book in the series, but not right away. 
I’m going to give City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, 3 Stars