About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea

I just finished the next book from my list of Female Sci-fi/Fantasy authors. Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea is the first book from her Earthsea series. It tells the story of Ged, a young man learning to become a wizard. The plot may sound familiar, but this isn't much like Harry Potter. Earthsea is an archipelago, there are many islands and many people never leave the island they were born on.

Ged is discovered to have magic, and apprentices with a wizard on his home island of Gont, before going to the island of Roke to attend wizard school. Ged is fourteen when he goes away to school, and is in the middle of the teenage pride and sullenness. This means that Ged has to learn his lesson the hard way.

The book was well written and the world was well-developed. I am not normally a fan of Fantasy that takes place in an author-built world. I have a hard time connecting with those stories usually. I didn't have trouble with this one though. Ged was a well-developed character and his adventure was fascinating.

I definitely plan to read more of the Earthsea series and other writing by Ursula K. Le Guin.

I'm going to give A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, 5 Stars.