About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Connie Willis' Doomsday Book

I just finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I absolutely loved it! It's one of those books that must have been hard to shelve, it definitely does some genre crossing. It was published in 1992. It won a Hugo award and a Nebula award, both given for Science Fiction novels. After reading it I can definitely see why.

This book is part historical fiction, part science fiction, and part medical mystery. Kivrin is excited to go to the year 1320. In 2054, time travel has become another way to study as an historian. Dunworthy, her mentor is not excited about her trip. He is helping her to prepare the best he can, but he would still rather she not go at all. Kivrin gets her way, and she does go. Immediately after she leaves, there are signs of trouble, on both sides of the net.

This book was so hard to put down, which is a problem when the book is 592 pages, and can't be read in a couple hours. I had a couple of very late nights. This was also one of those rare books that when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it, or talking my husband's ear off about it.

I am definitely going to read more of Connie Willis' work.

I'm going to give Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, 5 Stars.


Error correction: I was misled somewhere, Connie Willis won a Nebula award in 2010 for her novel: Blackout/All Clear, not for Doomsday Book.