About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cloaked in Malice by Annette Blair


Cloaked in Malice is the fifth book in Annette Blair's Vintage Magic Mystery series. The series follows Madeira Cutler, a psychometric who can "read" vintage clothing when she touches it. The psychometric thing had been introduced in some of Blair's earlier Witchy books, with different characters.

I thought Cloaked in Malice was fantastic. She did a great job of stringing me along with the mystery, and this book gave me the willies in more than a few places. 

I think Blair has created some great characters for this series with Maddie, her friend Eve, on and off again boyfriend Nick, and her family and other close friends. We also can't forget the resident ghost in her vintage clothing shop.

I like that the overall story progresses. Some characters get stuck in such a limbo, but Mad is going places, her character changes and grows over the course of the series. 

I will admit that my eyes glaze over a little bit at some of the fashion lingo, I don't know enough about different types of fabric and pieces of clothing to get a clear picture in my head. But, if you are knowledgable about such things, I'm sure you can picture the details of every outfit. The fashion lingo doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the story and the characters. 

I will definitely continue to read books by Annette Blair, I have read many, and they are always entertaining. Her romances get pretty steamy, but this falls pretty firmly into the cozy mystery wheelhouse, with more tease than action.

I'm going to give Cloaked in Malice by Annette Blair,  5 Stars.
It was a fun, quick read, with a good mystery.