About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I got sidetracked from reading female sci-fi/fantasy writers. The Life of Pi is being made into a movie by Ang Lee, and the trailer looks amazing. I had been intrigued by the book since it came out, but had never read it. Most of what I want to say would be spoilery, so look for it after the rating.

I liked the book and am glad I read it. It is worth reading, but not so compelling that I couldn't put it down. At least, not until I got near the end.

I'm going to give Life of Pi by Yann Martel, 3 Stars.  
I would read another book by the author, but maybe not just because it was written by Yann Martel.


Spoilers ahead!!




Upon finishing the book, my first reaction was feeling like I had been tricked. This whole elaborate story was a complete fiction. As I thought about it, while listening to our middle of the night thunderstorm, I understood why Pi would need that construction to survive what happened to him.
His telling of the real story to the Japanese representatives of the shipping company was more terrible than his story of the Richard Parker (the tiger).

The only part I couldn't correspond between the Richard Parker story, and his true story, was the carnivorous island.

I had been upset by the animal on animal violence in this book and it made me decide I should see the movie before the kids see it. However, that violence becomes even more terrible when you realize it was really person on person violence.

Anyway, upon reflection, I liked the book and am glad I read it. It will definitely give me stuff to think about for some time.