About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Monday, October 08, 2012

The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson

I just finished The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson. I had beed a Kickstarter supporter for this book. It is a young adult novel about two girls, two sides of a coin, who come to discover they are more than other people. They run faster, they are stronger, they can heal grievous wounds quickly and completely.

One girl is drawn to help others, the other wants to get rid of anyone viewed as competition or anyone who has wronged her. One girl was raised in an orphanage from age six, one raised by a disinterested mother on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada.

I found this book hard to put down. I always found myself wanting to read just one more narrative section. The book is in first person and the story is split between the two main characters, Bonnie and Lola.

There is alcohol use and sexual situations in the book, but nothing too graphic.
Fans of urban fantasy or the superhero genres will like this book.
I hope she is able to write and publish another book, I would definitely read more by Kelly Thompson.

I'm going to give The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson, 5 stars.