About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Storykiller by Kelly Thompson

Kelly Thompson's latest young adult book is called Storykiller. Thompson is also the author of The Girl Who Would Be King. I supported both of these books on Kickstarter and have thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

Storykiller is the story of Tessa Battle, a girl celebrating her 17th birthday with a return to her hometown of Lore, and the arrival of her standard super hero package of powers. It turns out Tessa is a scion, someone who stands between the world of fiction and the real world.

Fictional characters are real, and exist in a realm of their own, but some choose to live in our world instead. It is up to the Scion to see they don't get up to mischief. Too bad no one prepared Tessa for all of this.

The book makes me think "Once Upon A Time" meets The Eyre Affair. It isn't quite as clever as Jasper Fforde's writing, but it also didn't make me feel like I'm not well read enough. It mostly sticks with characters from familiar stories, many from fairy tales.

The ebook version I got from the kickstarter had several illustrations done by different comic book artists also, which were fantastic. Tessa is a fun character, and so is her misfit band that she winds up recruiting. Some of her merry band is made up of human friends from school, some from Story and some give rise to the question of who's side they're really on.

I would highly recommend this book, and I hope Thompson plans to write more in this world!
I would rate Storykiller 4 Stars.