About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

Midnight Crossroad is the first book in a new series by Charlaine Harris. There are planned to be only 3 novels in the Midnight, Texas Trilogy according to Charlaine Harris' website. This series features characters who have appeared in previous series by Harris.

Midnight, Texas,  is a very small town, and many people and businesses have deserted it. The few that are left are a strange lot. There is a newcomer to town, who happens to be Manfred Bernardo from the Harper Connelly novels. Manfred arrives just in time for some drama surrounding a woman who disappeared from town a couple of months before.

The book reminds me a bit of J.K. Rowling's A Casual Vacancy, there isn't a main character and it is more of an ensemble piece. Except, of course, some people in Midnight have bigger and more peculiar secrets than a typical small town. Manfred himself is a psychic and there may be a vampire, there definitely is a witch, and perhaps a shifter for good measure.

There is a character from the Lily Bard series, although I didn't remember him until much later in the book, when it was given away. I haven't read that series in forever. But I was pretty sure of the one from Aurora Teagarden, but I cheated and looked it up online before the book gave it away.

There is a twisty murder mystery and all kinds of twisty secrets. Midnight Crossroad was a fun read and I raced through it. Now that I've gotten to the end, I will have to read it again to pick up more clues for book two!

I highly recommend Midnight Crossroad, if you're a fan of Charlaine Harris' already or urban fantasy, or paranormal mystery you will enjoy it!

I'm going to give Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris, 4 stars.