About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Stardew Valley Part 1











Stardew Valley (Part 1)

I had heard of Stardew Valley, but when I initially looked at it I had a mac and there was not a mac version, so I didn’t try it. A few months ago, I switched from mac to PC and then someone mentioned Stardew Valley again, and I realized I could play it now. So, I went to Steam and downloaded the game.

I am a fan of the Animal Crossing Games, and I think I had played Harvest Moon a bit on Nintendo 64 or maybe the GameCube. But, I have generally preferred Animal Crossing. I like simulation games in general, games like SimCity, Civilization and the like. I have not been as big a fan of the Social Farming/Simulation games like Farmville. I don’t like having to badger my friends or spend a lot of real money to progress in games.

Stardew Valley is nice because ultimately you can play it however you like to play. There is a story progression, but I feel like you really could just ignore that if you wanted. If you want to just farm and sell crops and craft things, you can do that. In fact, it’s very easy to spend whole days on your farm and never see the other townspeople. If you want to grow little or nothing and spend your day foraging, you can do that pretty easily too. If you want to explore the mines or fish and not do the other things, it’s easy to do that.

Eventually, you would feel like progressing the story if for no other reason than to unlock new parts of the map. There are some mysterious things that go on in Stardew Valley, and it’s very intriguing to unravel them.

Now that I have been playing for over 100 hours (!) I thought I would write a bit of a review and some of my tips in case you would also like to take up residence in Stardew Valley. For more in depth information you can refer to the official wiki  or purchase the Stardew Valley Guidebook . The Guidebook has some super cute art and is easy to reference while you play. 




Come back to learn about the beginning of the game and some of the people you will meet. 

But, basically, I have spent over 100 hours on this game. I would highly recommend it if you are a fan of farming games or simulation games. There are a lot of different aspects to keep you busy and to allow you to play the way you want to play. 

I would give Stardew Valley 5 Stars