About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Stardew Valley Part 2











IN THE BEGINNING
The first thing you get to do in Stardew Valley is creating your farmer, dress them, change their hair and eye color, add an accessory. You can give them a name and you can also name your farm. You can also choose from several different types of farms. I picked the standard farm for the first game, but you can pick one with more rivers so you can fish more. There is also one that's on a mountain, which gives you less room for farming, but more chance to mine ores. There's also one with woods that allows you to forage right on your farm, but again less room to grow things. And finally, there's a farm where monsters come out at night if you really like killing monsters. 








Stardew Valley starts out with you inheriting your Grandfather’s farm in, where else? Stardew Valley. You are given a little cabin to live in and farmland to clear and plant. I like collecting things. I like going around and chopping down trees and I like the whole foraging thing.







LITTLE TOWN, FULL OF LITTLE PEOPLE
There are I think something like 28 people to meet at the beginning of the game, as one of your first quests. I love how over the course of the year you start to learn about each of these characters. Like Animal Crossing, you can give gifts to characters. They can send you quests or items in the mail, but luckily, you don’t have to spend a lot of time writing letters. That was always my least favorite part of Animal Crossing. But there is a lot to figure out in the whole social/hearts system. Each person has certain gifts that they love to receive and some things that they hate. Apparently, there is a whole scoring system and you can lose friendship points by giving people a gift they don’t like. I eventually got myself to the official Stardew wiki to help me navigate the whole gift giving thing.


I feel like the wiki is almost a necessity at a certain point. Otherwise, you’re going to spend a lot of time taking notes. But who wants to reinvent the wheel? The wiki is full of useful information. Some of which you could figure out just from playing and maybe keeping notes, but some things I don’t know how I ever would have figured it out. 







Next time I will talk about Community Service, Foraging, and donating to the museum.