About Me

My photo

Transplanted to Miami, FL, from Iowa City, IA. Trying to find a balance between reading, knitting, playing mom taxi, and enjoying the sun and sand in Miami.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Stardew Valley Part 4








HOARDING FOR FUN AND PROFIT
I am a total hoarder when it comes to a game like Stardew Valley. Luckily, Stardew makes it easy to hoard and tends to reward you for it. For example, you check the help-wanted board in town and someone wants a melon, but if you’ve just sold your last one and there isn’t time to grow another before the end of the season, you are out of luck. But, if you have a chest built (or 6), you can save one or two of everything and then you’ll be able to quickly answer those calls for help from your fellow townspeople.

The great thing about chests is they are fairly cheap to craft (50 wood) and you can put one anywhere. Eventually, I put one right outside the mine so that I could store weapons and food items there in case I decided to mine at the spur of the moment. I can also empty my backpack into it before entering the mine so I don’t run out of space for all that ore and monster loot.

Speaking of backpacks, I know every site you see about Stardew Valley says it, but upgrade your backpack as soon as possible, it makes the game much more enjoyable. The second game I started reminded me of how much of a pain it was at first with the small backpack.





GONE FISHING
Speaking about things that are frustrating in Stardew Valley, let’s talk about fishing. Fishing was the thing that sent me to the internet to find videos and that’s when I found the wiki.

When you first try fishing, it seems tricky but you catch something pretty quickly. Subsequent times you try to fish, it feels impossible. You’re supposed to keep that fish in that tiny box? Impossible!





I kept thinking there was a trick I was missing. There wasn’t. So I definitely didn’t prioritize fishing. But here’s the thing, the more you fish the more you level up and then as you level up fishing becomes easier. So all you can do is keep plugging away at it. Eventually, you can get a better fishing pole and use bait and add bobbers. The box you have to keep the fish inside also gets bigger as you level up. So just keep fishing, just keep fishing…